Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The toy exodus

Back before we had children, I would dream about what our family would be like.
One of these fantasy’s was about our children’s toys.
I had decided I only wanted them to play with a few low tech toys, so not to stunt their imaginations.
Yes, I was laughed at by those who already had kids.

When B came along, we were suddenly gifted so many things that it was hard to stick to that plan.
So every birthday and Christmas we just bought them more. I did try to keep L’s doll count down, and on Christmas only give 3 gifts from us to each child. We try not to buy in between these days expect for garage sales and the occasional granny gifts.

Fast forward 8 years and I have a houseful. A houseful of toys and books, un-played with, unread.
So, I sat the children down and talked about kids that would like to play with those toys and read those books. We rolled up our sleeves, dug in and sorted out 3 trunk loads for charity. I let the children dictate what was going and what was staying. Which was hard because some things I really liked, bye-bye “woody”. I let them choose and in the end we were all happy with the results.

That was a week before my son’s 8th birthday. It was hard to decide what to get him, I wanted it to be a special day.


Here’s what I came up with:

A really nice beach towel
A $2 pool noodle
A snorkel
A bottle holder and bottle for his bike
A few art supplies
Lego’s


I asked one set of grandparents to get him a sleeping bag and the other set a couple of outside balls.
Writing it out it still sounds a little much, but we are working on it.

This is a victory dance over the water bottle.



How do you keep the kids toys in check?

No comments: